When Should I Hire a Lawyer for My VA Claim?

There can be a lot of confusion about when a lawyer can help you with your claim and what services can be offered.  You should consider consulting with an Accredited Veterans Disability lawyer (search here to see if your VA attorney is accredited: http://www.va.gov/ogc/apps/accreditation/) if you have applied for benefits and received a denial letter or a lower rating than you think you should have.

For your initial application for a claim, you cannot hire (or pay) a lawyer to help you.  However, there are many service organizations that will help you with your initial claim (here is a directory of veterans service organizations – http://www.va.gov/vso/).  Also, lawyers often provide help for free for the initial claim to make sure that your claim file is complete.  Even if a lawyer helps you, it is possible that your claim will be denied or you’ll receive a lower rating, but you have the opportunity to appeal with legal representation at that point.

This is just a basic overview and is not legal advice specific to your situation. If you are a Veteran and are feeling overwhelmed by the VA process and benefits, you should speak with an attorney for legal advice. If you would like to speak with me regarding your situation, please email me at jen@jenleelaw.com or call 844-VAHELPU.

Request a Consultation